Brochure Type: USA Canada and Central America 2023
Explore a young nation on this journey from Capitol Hill and George Washington's home to reenactments on Gettysburg's battlefields and dinner in a haunted tavern. This New England tour immerses you in the past, you'll be chatting with blacksmiths in Colonial Williamsburg as well as visiting the monuments of D. C.'s National Mall.
- Explore Gettysburg with a Local Specialist
- Visit Mount Vernon, Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, Monticello, Gettysburg National Military Park, the National Mall, St John's Church, Independence National Historic Park
- View the Washington Monument, U.S. Capitol Building, the White House, Liberty Bell
- Dive Into Culture Relive the American Revolution at the Yorktown Victory Center surrounded by period artifacts and experiencing first-hand the dramatic "Siege of Yorktown" with a 180-degree surround screen and dramatic special effects.
- Dive Into Culture Meet Sylvia Tabb-Lee who will bring America's slavery history to life.
- MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Explore the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center, where our visit helps to contribute to their efforts to preserve the battlefield.
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- 1 Lunch
- 1 Welcome Reception
- 2 Regional Dinners
- 7 Breakfasts
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- All transport and transfers shown
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Optional Experiences and free time
Call (209) 521-0800 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16422625
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 6/30/2022
- 8 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Greetings Washington, D.C.||Greetings Washington, D.C.: The political heart of America is your gateway to a memorable encounter with the Land of the Free and how it came to be so. After checking in to your hotel, enjoy an afternoon at leisure to explore the museums, memorials and monuments of Washington, D.C. This evening, you'll join your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception to kick-start your journey.|
Washington Marriott Georgetown
|Day 2||Uncover The History Of Washington, D.C.||Uncover The History Of Washington, D.C.: Roam the corridors of power, oak-lined avenues and noble tributes to America's famous sons and daughters, as you explore the nation's proud heritage today. View the White House, striking Washington Monument and National Mall, stretching from the Lincoln Memorial to the Capitol Building. Reflect on the country's darkest days at the Lincoln Memorial and somber memorials to World War II and the Vietnam War. The rest of the day is free to chart your own course through America's capital city.|
|Day 3||Marvel At Mount Vernon||Marvel At Mount Vernon: Today's travels begin treading in the footsteps of America's first president by visiting Mount Vernon, the former home of George Washington. Step back into the 18th century, strolling the estate's lush gardens, grounds, and fascinating museum galleries. Delve into the history and Dive Into Culture at the American Revolution Museum at the Yorktown Victory Center surrounded by period artifacts and experiencing first-hand the dramatic "Siege of Yorktown" with a 180-degree surround screen and dramatic special effects. Your tour continues on to Williamsburg, founded in 1638 as Middle Plantation, and the former capital of the Commonwealth of Virginia.|
Hilton Garden Inn Williamsburg
|Day 4||Step Back In Time At Colonial Williamsburg||Step Back In Time At Colonial Williamsburg: Pay tribute to the brave men and women who gave up their homeland to establish a New World. This morning, we venture to Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in America, where we'll gain insights into the trials that marked the lives of early 17th century colonists. Walk through the life-sized re-creations of the colonists' crude fort, explore the mock-up of the Native American Powhatan village and climb aboard a replica of one of the three ships that sailed from England to Virginia. We fast forward a few centuries and spend the rest of the day in Colonial Williamsburg, once Britain's largest colony in the New World. Chat with blacksmiths, admire a fife and drum parade, and perhaps even engage in some politicking with a costumed Federalist in the town square. This afternoon, we Dive Into Culture and meet Sylvia Tabb-Lee who will bring America's slavery history to life.|
|Day 5||Explore Charlottesville And Monticello||Explore Charlottesville And Monticello: Visit St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia-the very spot where George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were inspired by Patrick Henry's fiery "Give me liberty or give me death" speech. Continue to Charlottesville, where you'll enjoy lunch at a local restaurant. Then, visit Monticello, the neoclassical Italian estate where Jefferson once sought a quieter existence. The rest of your day is free.|
|Day 6||Unlock The Legacy Of Gettysburg||Unlock The Legacy Of Gettysburg: Journey through the rolling hills of the Shenandoah National Park en route to Gettysburg where we'll delve into the devastation of a four-year civil war pitting North against South. We explore the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center, where our visit MAKE TRAVEL MATTER by contributing to their efforts to preserve the battlefield. This evening, indulge in a festive Regional Dinner at the "most haunted" 19th century Dobbin House, keeping an eye out for Uncle Abe who may grace the group with his presence.|
|Day 7||Journey To Philadelphia||Journey To Philadelphia: Cast your mind back to the pivotal, yet tragic day on which Pickett led his charge on Gettysburg. Join a Local Specialist who will bring to life the events at Gettysburg which turned the tide in the Civil War. Just four months later, the battlefield served as the backdrop for Abraham Lincoln's call for "a new birth of freedom" in his famed Gettysburg Address. Guests will enjoy a Be My Guest lunch experience at the Amish home of Samuel and Ruth Lapp, who own a working 25 acre produce farm just outside of Lancaster. The Lapp Family will introduce our guests to a few Amish Traditions and host them to a family style meal with recipes passed through generations and ingredients sourced directly from their farm. * Please note, alcohol is not traditionally served with Amish meals. Drinks will be sweet tea or purified water. We'll journey to the City of Brotherly Love and site of the signing of the Declaration of Independence next. Stay in the heart of Philadelphia's historic district, within walking distance of dozens of landmark buildings. This evening, we'll join our Travel Director and fellow American history enthusiasts for a Farewell Dinner.|
Hilton at Penn's Landing
|Day 8||Discover The Sights Of Philadelphia||Discover The Sights Of Philadelphia: Gain insights into the history of the U.S. Constitution and the effect it has had around the world during this morning's tour through Philadelphia. We'll explore the UNESCO-listed Independence National Historic Park and see its famous cracked bell whose inscription has inspired so many to "proclaim liberty". The final stop on our journey is Washington, D.C., where we'll transfer to either Dulles International Airport, Ronald Reagan National Airport or to the Renaissance Washington, D.C. Downtown for guests extending their stay.|
- If you are looking even further ahead, this trip is available to book in 2023. Visit our website for dates and today's best prices.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class